Call for paper
Invitation to Submit a Manuscript for KEIO SFC JOURNAL Vol.20 No.2
Special Editorial Board Member:
The Keio SFC Academic Society publishes the academic KEIO SFC JOURNAL, which reports the results of academic research conducted at SFC.
For this edition, Vol. 20, No. 2 (scheduled for publication in March 2021), we are accepting papers on the featured theme of "Music and Science"
Furthermore, we welcome submissions regarding any topic on a continual basis in accordance with the guidelines described below.
- The title of the special feature: Music and Science
- Overview of the special feature
The special feature proposed here is about music and science. The music environment has undergone a dramatic transformation as seen in the music civilization introduced by the Internet and in an expansion of music expressions through interaction technology. What does music encompass for humanity? In recent years, fascinating music-related studies have been rapidly progressing to scientifically examine the origin of the musicality and creativity of humanity. These include music neuroscience, which explores the origin of music in the brain and examines the possibility of the application of music for medical and health purposes; computational and comparative musicology, which examines the diversity and universality of the types of music; research into an expansion of music expressions and creativity using artificial intelligence; the creation of musical instruments with the use of perceptual science; and physical fitness and sports medicine for musicians. Against such a backdrop, x-Music Laboratory was established in this fiscal year within the Keio Research Institute at SFC. Furthermore, unique classes related to music, art, and design are offered at SFC. Consequently, a research and teaching program combining art and science is progressing in an intriguing manner. What is the current status of the world's music and science? Where are they headed? This special feature is aimed at providing guidance in addressing such questions.
- Categories of manuscripts
- Research articles:
Research Articles should comprise reports of original work of empirical or theoretical nature. The articles should include clear research objectives, methods, findings, and discussion of possible implications.
- Review articles:
Articles comprehensively evaluate or analyze information collected from relevant literature on the specified topic, discuss issues based on the literature, and present the author's original ideas and viewpoints.
- Practice reports:
Practice reports should focus on innovative activities and field experiences. Ideally, the content of the reports should include implications for wider areas of practice, for scaled-up research, or for providing improvement to the policy in the given field.
- Progress reports:
Progress reports summarize the status, preliminary findings and likely future direction of the research in progress.
- Books or media reviews:
This category comprises critiques or introductions of books and other content.
- Academic trend reports:
Academic trend reports include analysis of trends and perspectives in a specific research field, etc.
*For the number of characters and details of each manuscript, refer to the writing procedure section below.
- Preparing your manuscript
Submission deadline for camera-ready paper: 16:00, 11/29/2019
Submission method: Prepare the manuscript with MS-Word software in the order of "cover (including abstract), body text, figures and tables," and submit the file both electronically and as a hard copy. An MS-Word or PDF file of the original manuscript, a PDF file of the manuscript for blind review, which must not refer to the author name, affiliation, job title, or acknowledgments, and a submission form should be sent to the secretariat of Keio SFC Academic Society by e-mail (email@example.com). In addition, a hard copy of the manuscript for blind review should be printed in A4 size and be directly submitted to the secretariat of Keio SFC Academic Society in Tau #14 room in SFC. If accepted, you may be asked to submit diagrams and charts in the original format.
* The submission form can be downloaded from.
NOTE: Free subjects are accepted anytime in the year.
- Submission eligibility
Those eligible to make submissions are as follows.
- A member of the Keio SFC Academic Society
- All undergraduate and graduate students, who are currently enrolled at Keio SFC.
- Other members who have paid membership fees or who have been recommended by the editorial committee of the SFC Journal.
- Review process
"KEIO SFC JOURNAL" is a peer-reviewed journal. This journal uses double-blind review, which means that the identities of both the reviewer and the author are concealed from each other throughout the review process. The number of reviewers in each manuscript category is as follows:
"Research articles", "Review articles", and "Practical reports"
In principle, three people will review submissions, comprising an internal reviewer (the primary reviewer) and two external reviewers.
A "research articles," which is accepted for publication in the SFC Journal, can be considered as partially fulling the requirement of the Doctoral Program of Keio SFC's Graduate School of Media and Governance.
In principle, submissions will be reviewed by two people, one internal reviewer (the primary reviewer) and one external reviewer.
"Books or media reviews" and "Academic trend reports"
Submissions will be reviewed by a single reviewer.
- Notification of review result
Preliminary feedback will be provided to the author in 1-3 months from the date of submission. The review result is either "A: Accept", "B: Accept with minor revision", "C: Revise and resubmit," or "D: Reject" Results will be returned with the comments of the reviewer(s). Manuscripts re-submitted with appropriate modifications will be re-reviewed, and we will inform the author of the result of the second review.
- Copyright policy (excerpt from "KEIO SFC JOURNAL" Publication Rules [Copyright] Article 5)
* In accordance with Article 5 of the Publishing Rules, the selected manuscripts will be registered and posted on the Keio SFC Academic Society website as well as websites and databases operated by Keio University.
- The author will entrust the copyright of the paper and other materials published in KEIO SFC JOURNAL to the Keio SFC Academic Society. The Society will retain the compilation copyright and publication right.
- Based on 1, the Keio SFC Academic Society will have the right to re-publish and re-distribute the prints and electronic media versions of the original papers and other materials submitted by the author.
- In the event the submitted material is to be reproduced in other printed matters or electronic media, the author shall notify the Keio SFC Academic Society in advance.
- As a general rule, the Keio SFC Academic Society shall obtain the prior consent from the author in case the submitted material will be summarized and re-published or re-distributed in printed matters or electronic media.
- Research Ethics
For research involving human subjects, it is necessary to ensure necessary ethical considerations in terms of bioethics, privacy protection, human rights protection, etc. When publishing such research papers, in principle, we need to obtain approval from the Ethics Committee of the institution (i.e. Institutional Review Board) to which the first author belongs. However, this does not apply to practical reports.
- SFC Experiment/Ethics Committee (only available in Japanese)
- About the research ethics review of the Graduate School of Health Management (only available in Japanese)
In the submitted manuscript, please avoid making reference to the author's name, affiliation, or other personal information such as acknowledgment, grant information including Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research.
"KEIO SFC JOURNAL" is A5 size and monochrome. Prepare tables and figures taking into consideration the reduction ratio and the appearance in monochrome, such that it occupies half of A5 size on all pages.