We only accept previously unposted manuscripts. Submitting to SFC Journal implies that the manuscript is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Categories of manuscripts
*For the number of characters and details of each manuscript, refer to the writing procedure section below.
- Research articles:
Research Articles should comprise reports of original work of empirical or theoretical nature. The articles should include clear research objectives, methods, findings, and discussion of possible implications.
- Review articles:
Articles comprehensively evaluate or analyze information collected from relevant literature on the specified topic, discuss issues based on the literature, and present the author's original ideas and viewpoints.
- Practice reports:
Practice reports should focus on innovative activities and field experiences. Ideally, the content of the reports should include implications for wider areas of practice, for scaled-up research, or for providing improvement to the policy in the given field.
- Progress reports:
Progress reports summarize the status, preliminary findings and likely future direction of the research in progress.
- Books or media reviews:
This category comprises critiques or introductions of books and other content.
- Academic trend reports:
Academic trend reports include analysis of trends and perspectives in a specific research field, etc.
- Preparing your manuscript
Submission deadline: Free subjects are accepted anytime in the year. Special issue papers are scheduled for inclusion in May or November editions. The deadline for the special edition is posted on the SFC JOURNAL website.
Submission method: Prepare the manuscript with MS-Word software in the order of "cover (including abstract), body text, figures and tables," and submit the file both electronically and as a hard copy. An MS-Word or PDF file of the original manuscript, a PDF file of the manuscript for blind review, which must not refer to the author name, affiliation, job title, or acknowledgments, and a submission form should be sent to the secretariat of Keio SFC Academic Society by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, a hard copy of the manuscript for blind review should be printed in A4 size and be directly submitted to the secretariat of Keio SFC Academic Society in Tau #14 room in SFC. If accepted, you may be asked to submit diagrams and charts in the original format.
* The submission form can be downloaded from.
- Submission eligibility
Those eligible to make submissions are as follows.
- A full member of the Keio SFC Academic Society
- All undergraduate and graduate students, who are currently enrolled at Keio SFC.
- Other members who have paid membership fees or who have been recommended by the editorial committee of the SFC Journal.
- List of recommended reviewers
Author(s) can suggest two experts whom they consider particularly suited to review a submitted manuscript. This recommendation would be very helpful to the editor to speedup the reviewing process, particularly when the work is in an interdisciplinary research area. The editor is, of course, not constrained to select a reviewer from that list. In recommending reviewers, please avoid faculty members belonging to SFC and soliciting candidates from those people who have a close relationship with the author (s): for instance, members affiliated with the same research group and/or unit with the authors
When you make a list of recommended reviewers, Please be sure to enter the following information on the "Submission Form":
- Contact email address
- The reason why you suggest
- Review process
"KEIO SFC JOURNAL" is a peer-reviewed journal. This journal uses double-blind review, which means that the identities of both the reviewer and the author are concealed from each other throughout the review process. The number of reviewers in each manuscript category is as follows:
"Rearch articles", "Review articles", and "Practical reports"
In principle, three people will review submissions, comprising an internal reviewer (the primary reviewer) and two external reviewers.
A "research articles," which is accepted for publication in the SFC Journal, can be considered as partially fulling the requirement of the Doctoral Program of Keio SFC's Graduate School of Media and Governance.
In principle, submissions will be reviewed by two people, one internal reviewer (the primary reviewer) and one external reviewer.
"Books or media reviews" and "Academic trend reports"
Submissions will be reviewed by a single reviewer.
- Notification of review result
Preliminary feedback will be provided to the author in 1-3 months from the date of submission. The review result is either "A: Accept", "B: Accept with minor revision", "C: Revise and resubmit," or "D: Reject" Results will be returned with the comments of the reviewer(s). Manuscripts re-submitted with appropriate modifications will be re-reviewed, and we will inform the author of the result of the second review.
- Copyright policy (excerpt from "KEIO SFC JOURNAL" Publication Rules [Copyright] Article 5)
* In accordance with Article 5 of the Publishing Rules, the selected manuscripts will be registered and posted on the Keio SFC Academic Society website as well as websites and databases operated by Keio University.
- The author will entrust the copyright of the paper and other materials published in KEIO SFC JOURNAL to the Keio SFC Academic Society. The Society will retain the compilation copyright and publication right.
- Based on 1, the Keio SFC Academic Society will have the right to re-publish and re-distribute the prints and electronic media versions of the original papers and other materials submitted by the author.
- In the event the submitted material is to be reproduced in other printed matters or electronic media, the author shall notify the Keio SFC Academic Society in advance.
- As a general rule, the Keio SFC Academic Society shall obtain the prior consent from the author in case the submitted material will be summarized and re-published or re-distributed in printed matters or electronic media.
- Research Ethics
For research involving human subjects, it is necessary to ensure necessary ethical considerations in terms of bioethics, privacy protection, human rights protection, etc. When publishing such research papers, in principle, we need to obtain approval from the Ethics Committee of the institution (i.e. Institutional Review Board) to which the first author belongs. However, this does not apply to practical reports.
- SFC Experiment/Ethics Committee (only available in Japanese)
- About the research ethics review of the Graduate School of Health Management (only available in Japanese)
In the submitted manuscript, please avoid making reference to the author's name, affiliation, or other personal information such as acknowledgment, grant information including Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research.
"KEIO SFC JOURNAL" is A5 size and monochrome. Prepare tables and figures taking into consideration the reduction ratio and the appearance in monochrome, such that it occupies half of A5 size on all pages.